Recently my friends and I have been bemoaning the fact of how much we spend at the grocery store. It really IS amazing, that I can shop as frugally as I feel I can (with a few little luxuries) and I still spend more than I think that I should. A few months ago, my husband and I started using only cash for food. Whoever thought up the idea of the debit card is sitting back laughing in their piles of money cackling "Spend Silly Americans! SPEND!!! It is so easy just to debit, debit and debit some more... And have no idea how much is really going out every month. So the cash thing has really been an eye opener for us. Who remembered how easy it was to know how much you had left in your food budget when you had actual cold hard cash in your hands?
So we have been doing it for about 4 or 5 months now and I think that I am finally getting it right. I had spenders denial for several months and in the beginning I thought it was a mistake on my part that we spent WAY more than I thought we did.
If I had to do it all over again I would have added $50 or $100 to the first several months budget and bought my staples and proper containers for those staples (grains, flours, beans, rice, sugar/honey, etc.) so I could build upon that. That way, you are buying in bulk (big money savings), you will have the convenience of having what you need on hand and won't find yourself making impulse buys, it will make it easier to plan meals because you will already have the basics for meals (another great way to save money: plan dinners and lunches 1 week in advance- make the bulk of them in one day, like on a Sunday), and you will feel better because you are eating well and saving money. But, I didn't do it that way, so I am now doing it more slowly. Also, money IS very tight so I really don't have that extra to throw at it all at once, so I am going about it slowly. That is okay, I will get there.
The next thing that I would do, and am doing to try and cut down on costs is to join a CSA. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. What it means is that you are buying a share (or a half share) in a farm. The farms are generally local and organic and seasons run from May or June to October or November. The cost runs anywhere between $400-$650 a season and you get tons of fresh fruits and vegetables delivered to a drop area that you pick up from or it is dropped at your house. Each farm CSA has its various perks and extras. For example, the CSA I have joined this year has a time in August that we can come and pick 50lbs. of tomatoes and as much garlic and onions that we want for salsa. Another CSA that I belonged to in the past sent delicious recipes weekly with the boxes. It is important to me to buy local and organic so this is a great option and it turns out to be roughly $20-$25/week for a very large amount of fruits and vegetables. Here is a nationwide listing of CSA's so everyone can find one in their area. http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
Another thing to do, that I have just started for the first time this month, is to join a buyers club for buying your bulk food (Note, bulk food does not mean Costco sized. Bulk food means large amounts of good, whole food in one package like rice or beans, etc). This is a good idea whether you are buying organic or not. Buying in bulk will always save you money and it saves in packaging and waste so it is a win-win situation. If you can't find a buyers club, join a co-op or shop at Win-Co. Co-ops are nice because often you will get a return on the Co-0ps profit at the end of the year. Co-ops also generally have food that is more local so this is nice too because that means it is fresher as well as hasn't had to travel so far.
Make and plan your meals in advance. This has been a struggle for me but I am getting better and when I am successful, I DO notice that our money goes further. Or, I will make a meal and make extra to put in the fridge for later or the next month or when I can't think of anything to feed Maya. Also, making goodies (healthy cookies and stuff) also helps to first and formost eliminate any guilt about them because "I know what I put in them, so they aren't THAT bad for me" and it is way cheaper. Cookies and cakes are EXPENSIVE and can add up!
Soups and stews are great ways to empty the fridge of all your random extras as well as can feed you for one or two meals, depending on the size of your family. Also, making stock (chicken, beef, veggie, etc) and sticking it in the freezer is another great way to save money and get several meals out of one "spend".
These are just a few of the ways to save money on buying food. I am sure that there are tons more that I haven't even thought about (and I would love to hear about other people's tricks) and many holes for my monthly food money to fall through but it is a work in progress and I hope to get smarter and better at it as I go along!
I would love other people's ideas and tips. For those of you who grow your own food or belong to a community garden, how does that work for you and what has your journey been like?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment